After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

10 days/10000 miles pt 3...camping

When it comes to embarrassed I have done it all. Seriously, I've done it on a national level, in front of my friends, strangers, people I admire, and I'm not about to go into what I did. So I have a pretty think skin when it comes to making an ass of myself. But there are three things that will still make me feel stupid. One, of course, is trying to talk to girls, two is my family, and three is the fact that I snore. And I mean loud! My neighbors have made comments on it. My family reminds me of it. It is, without a doubt, my single worst problem. So imagine my stupidity when I agreed to go on a camping trip and completely forget to warn people of this impending problem.

Before I go into greater detail I wish to talk about the good parts of the trip. It's weird to think that 30 hours before I was in the middle of Time Square, one of the most populated areas on Earth, to the middle of nowhere where you can lay on a tree trunk and look straight up into the night sky and see the entire galaxy. No noise, no cars honking, no music, no nothing. It was awesome.

My "friends" and I arrived around noon to our site. We set up camp, and did some exploring. I was tired from traveling a lot. So around 10pm we called it a night. Less then an hour later I was awoken. They asked me to turn over because of my snoring. I couldn't fall back asleep for a few hours, and when I did they woke me again...so there goes my sleep. I felt pretty bad. Then I felt like an ass when they moved farther away from me. Assholes!

Without a doubt, the best part of all these trips was when I woke up at 6am to go for a walk. The forest ranger had warned us before about bears and mountain lions, but I didn't care, I was grumpy. As I went deep into the forest I heard some running and branches breaking, and then I cared!. A elk, about 800 Ibs, ran right passed me and stopped. It was awesome! It was the clostest I had been to wild nature. And this Elk knew he was bigger then me and could kick my ass if he had too. But he walked on his merry way eating grass. I really missed camping. I keep wanting to go to Yosemite National park, but much like Hawaii, I can't find anyone who wants to go with me.

That's been the one downer on these trips (yep, here comes the whining) I realize that I really have done everything a single guy can do. I really loved going on these trips, but wish I could've shared them with someone (besides family). ]

Quote is from Bill Murray in "Meatballs" best film about camping of all time!

"And even if we win, if we win, HAH! Even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to ten days; even if God in Heaven above points his hand at our side of the field; even if every man woman and child joined hands together and prayed for us to win, it just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from Mohawk because they've got all the money! It just doesn't matter if we win or if we lose."

2 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

Have you ever seen a doctor about your snoring? It can sometimes be a signal that something else is going on (like sleep apnea or allergies). Or maybe try those Breathe Easy nose-strip thingies...

I'm so jealous though, I need to get my ass camping too!

1:37 PM

 
Blogger Papa jon said...

I haven't, but it's genetic. My mom and dad were both snorers. I sometimes do a nose-strip. One day I might get it fixed, but for now I have no reason too.

You should! Get your posse together and hit one of the half-dozen parks around you!

9:03 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home