After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Monday, July 17, 2006

Feeling The Burn

When I decided to do these blogs I thought it would be fun to tell about my adventures in Humboldt county, what I didn't count on was starting them in June when the area is dead and all the college kids are back annoying their parents. However(!), this weekend I saw the return of a few familar faces. I guess the students are slowly making their way back to school. College doesn't start for another 5 weeks but a lot of kids are looking for places to live (including yours truly, but that is a very funny blog I will write tomorrow), and jobs. So Friday a few of us went to Willow Creek, an hour east of us, and went swimming! It was the best feeling in the world! In Arcata it is foggy, I'm guessing, just over 200 days of the year. Not too bad compared to Seattle's weather, but still, I want sunlight! The creek was nice, not too cold. There was a rope so you could swim and fall into the creek! It was a blast! I did get sunburned, but it was the best burn I have gotten since I hit on that girl at the water park about 16 years ago! Again, worth it! I was going to go out Saturday, but I decided to stay in and save a few bucks, not to mention I had a test on Monday. At this point I'm less then 300 days away from finishing college (not including the credital), so it's starting to get real. I think I'll do another 2 weeks of reflections before I leave on all my trips. Three back to back trips! Thinking of reflecting, when I was in the water goofing around I couldn't help to remember public pools. I never saw any in LA, unless they were indoor pools for a gym, and in the Bay Area I saw a few but the neighborhoods kept them to themselves (Sort of "members only). There are none up here, the college pool is open for students at the most ridiculous times (7am and noon, but only for an hour, it's like frickin "Adult Swim"). I know public pools are really large toilets for little kids, are lazy fat adults, but I am a bit surprised California doesn't have any, outside of apartment buildings. I guess the ocean counts as one big public pool!

"In the summertime when the weather is fine
You can stretch right up and touch the sky
When the weather's fine You got women,
you got women on your mind
Have a drink, have a drive
Go out and see what you can find"~ M. Jerry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home