After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Things to like about Nothern Cali.

As I stated before I probably will do another two weeks of reflections, then I'll be gone for three, but when I return it will be back to the grind of schoolwork for what will be my last year in college (kinda) which is what my blogs will be about. This year will be my last real Thanksgiving, Xmas and Spring Break (in other worlds, having more then just a few days off!), and my last full summer vacation. Which has been a treat to enjoy after 12 years of work.

With that said, what is it like north of the Golden Gate Bridge? Last night I was running on the track, and I looked up. It was a clear night, and the stars were out. In LA, you hardly see the stars. Between the smog, and everything else it's just difficult. Here, with no lights surrounding the area, you can see the vastness of space. It's very peaceful, which is NoCal's best feature. Miles and miles of wilderness! If you like anything outdoors this is the place for you. Every town has a REAL farmer's market. The beaches are amazing and uncrowded. I remember thinking staring at that sky about how one friend in LA told me how LA was the place to live. You were a few hours from the desert, mountains, and beach. True for up here. Only you are mintues from all those things (expect desert, but really, who goes to the desert unless you are into Motorcross).

It is peacful, to stand on my porch at 11pm, and outside of a college party there isn't horns honking as I was use to in LA. No clutter or over population. More important, the people are a bit nicer, not as much into themselves. However, they are into politics and the enviroment, they take that almost "too" personally.

However, I do miss a city being nearby. I can get anything I want off the internet, but it's too secluded. Also, this place as a "St. Louis" vibe to it, meaning that I can see people coming here and raising their familes here, but then I see them moving on after. Of the locals college kids I've talked to, most of them want to move on to the world. I can't say I blame them!

To end it, I've been across the country, but I think I have never truly been in awe as much as I have ever been when I drove to Fort Bragg. About 5 miles north, before the road goes back into the forest, you have to stop and look out into the ocean. There you will see what the ocean was like before Europe called it home. The ocean was three shades of blue, and they were all clear so that you can see the bottom. Turquoise! Even when I was in Bonaire and Aruba I have never seen the water Turquoise! I want to go back and take a picture of it. I'm afraid one day it won't be there. It'll look like Venice, Ca, where the water is brown and stinky. Anyway, my 2 cents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home