After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The first week of school...

is crazy! 85% of the people I have met here are graduating this years (including your truly!), and because of it there seems to be a new feeling in the air. This was brought up yesterday at "Hops on Humboldt" by some of my peers. It started when a classmate of ours apparently had a breakdown a few weeks ago and ended up a paded room, which is more startling considering I saw this person a few days before I left for Lake Tahoe, and they seemed perfectly normal.

Speaking for myself, this is the smallest semester I have had since I went back to school. Four classes, an Art class (which I have been looking forward to for a year! I get to make my own pop-up book!), another science class (enviromental science), and two English classes. With both English classes I have the same professor. I have heard horror stories from students about this professor, and I am lucky enough to have two classes with her. The first English class is more about learning English and how we say words (for example, Oprah would be O-pr-ah, because we are sounding out different parts of the words and placing our mouths in different postitions. The second is English as a second language, which is a class I have been looking foward to for a while. And this is an extremly diverse class, we have 12 teachers from around South America, among various other countries. Before I forget, I know the Professor is hard because in both classes she passed out an 18 page syllabus, both of which I had to read before the next class because she gave a quiz on them....lame!

So with only four classes I have taken two jobs. One is directing the college's volunteer tutor department, that has much more paperwork then I imagined. The second job is a pre-school teacher. Really! I am in a room with twenty little kids basically getting paid to play with them. The kids are great! I'm pretty much the only guy working there, so I have a bit more pressure on me, but compared to past jobs it's a cake walk!

1 Comments:

Blogger LB said...

Congrats on the new jobs! Now you'll actually be able to get some cash flow going - good for you!

On a side note, I did pass along your message, but I couldn't publish your comment about it on my blog, because you used her real name - remember, I'm all about the anonymity!!

9:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home