After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Friday, January 12, 2007

Portland

As I begin to wrap up my last Holiday break. (My last full month off till summer!) I must talk about the little city I have been hanging out in.

I remember eariler last summer in one of my Top Ten lists I listed Portland at #9 I believe. New York and San Fran have the #1 and #2 position. And rightfully so. If either city was a bit cheaper to live in I would jump at the chance. Chicago was #3, and I still stand by that, but Portland, for being such a small city, gives the Windy City a good run for its money.

I have never been to a city that is getting more ready for a population boom then Portland. They are building condo's up and down the riverside, but at the same time keeping its personality (as every city should try harder to do). The crime rate hardly exists. There is crime, but compared to the last few cities I've lived in it is really small (HELL! There is more crime in Eureka/Arcata where I go to school then in Portland, and the population of Portland is at least 20 times bigger.)

The great author Chuck Palahniuk wrote a great guide to Portland which adds even more the cities personality. My own tours of the city without the book has been fun. The most popular find (which I have told my friends twice now) is Powell's book store, the largest REAL bookstore I have ever been in (Leave your Border's card at home kids!) Good Irish and English pubs. Movie theaters that show old movies..and beer!...in the same theaters!!! And, of course, it wouldn't be me without finding a sugar crash site. Voo Doo Doughnuts: Which makes crazier doughnuts then anyplace I have ever been (Really! Oreo doughnuts, Coo Coo Puff doughnuts, Wedding Cake Doughnuts, etc.)

The center of Portland is much like Silver Lake/Echo Park in LA or Greenwich Village in New York. It gives Portland part of it's personality without any Starbucks or muck up your coffee needs.

Overall, I might put Portland in the running as a city to live in. But there are still many other cities I will be exploring the next few months as I think about where I might want to live when I am done with school.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home