After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Elephant

In the case of retail vs Internet, I have to vote for retail.

When I was back in Portland two weeks ago I went to Powell's books (This was the best book store I had ever been in back during my Xmas break.) As I was in there looking around I thought to myself that there are a lot of books I don't think Amazon has (they are more books you would find on Ebay). It occurs to me that when you go on Amazon you are going in there to look for a certain book. You might find recommendations to a book similar to the one you are looking for, but it is still Amazon's opinion you are listening to. So looking around Powell's I decided to have some fun and go into sections of the books store (which is the size of a city block mind you.) I have never explored. I grabbed a bunch of books and went to the coffee shop to read them. Anyway, this dialog from a book below sort of hit me when I was talking to someone who doesn't know what to do with their life after graduation. I'm just posting it for my own indulgence really. But I hope you enjoy it.


This is from Terry Moore's "Strangers in Paradise." This is a graphic novel (comic book. I know. No grief please!), about two girls living together and struggling through life. It is a romantic comic (no super heroes), and although Terry, who's a guy, wrote this about a woman talking about a woman, the message is pretty universal. I think we all have faced this at one time or another. But in life some realize the elephant later then others.


"Okay, picture this...somebody points out an elephant in your living room, and this is the first time you've see it. So you're standing there wondering how in the world an elephant got in your living room, when it hits you... he must have been there all along. Today I saw an elephant in my life and it was like, an epiphany! I mean, I've always chased the all-american dream. Y'know? A husband, kids...stuff like that. But the harder I tried to get it, the further it slipped away and for me, there was never any plan B. It it hadn't been for Katchoo, I don't know what I would have done. Katchoo gives me the only hug I get at the end of a bad day. The only loving smile. The only gentle caress. Can you blame me for being grateful? For accepting comfort from another woman when man on the planet seems to have orders to screw me over! And she never asks for anything. She never makes demands, she never questions or criticizes me! She's just there for me. Always. I've spent my entire life looking for a man like that...but I found a woman instead! So, it must be love, right? And when you're in live you're supposed to do something about it, right? Only I could never quite bring myself to take that last, big...final step. Then I saw the elephant." ~Terry Moore

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home