After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The halfway mark

At 2:14pm yesterday Spring Break officially started. I would've gotten out of town right away but I have a second job on Saturdays I do so I will fly out tomorrow morning. I must say this semester really has flown by although I have been counting down the days like counting the seconds right before the New Year. The work loads have been coming in spurts instead of a constant flow. Last week of a bit difficult with two midterms (Damn English Department!) and three papers due. Top priority over Spring Break will be a haircut! (Which I haven't had since mid-Dec. I look like Chia-pet hippie!) A trip back to Powell's Books (If anyone has a book suggestions let me know!), and a trip to Seattle tomorrow night.

So, as I might have stated before, out little Education major is quite a..."creative" bunch. The other night a group of us got together to talk about "What makes a good teacher?"

Note: This was follow by a lot of gossip about all my peers, something I have sadly grown quite use to with my last few chapter of my life because I let it surround me. And while I have grown quite numb of it certain characteristics were brought up that I think is worth talking about. Actually, the big two characteristics that some of my peers seem to be lacking With that said...

I think the most important thing about being a teacher is flexibility. When you look at today's teacher they have to be able to teach a room full of students who each have a learning style that works best for them (and remember, they have to follow national and state standards). My peers are learning this quick at their observations. I have gotten this note really quick working at the pre-school (Fifteen minutes max!) So people who have to follow "the rule book" word for word might have a bit of trouble being a teacher. The key word here is "Adaptability."

Then there's classroom management. The very first thing a teacher will do is get to know everyone. The second thing the teacher will do is set the rules. Sadly, this is where a few of my peers fail. Recently, I had heard how one of my peers was attempting to control a room of 1st graders, and..well...the 1st graders won. It's not about attitude or being forceful, it's about the demeanor of the teacher that sets the example for the children.

As I start to wrap up my time in school I plan talking more about teaching. Before my blog has been about my experience in college, and what is going through my head. But now I can talk about my major since I have a clear picture where I will be directing my energy.

"Those who educate children well are more to be honored than parents, for these gave only life, those the art of living well." ~Aristotle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home