After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Friday, October 27, 2006

A note from a friend in Europe

One of the nicest people I met up here is a guy named Brad. He finished college last year, but wasn't quite ready to go into the real world. So in August he left for the ultimate trip around the world. For the last few months he has traveled all around Europe, and has been keeping me and a few other friends updated on his adventures. I am posting this one because I find Berlin a fascinating city and this particular restaurant sounds really cool.

Consider this a reason to travel!

"Well,I am about three weeks behind in my travel stories. I have spent that time with my girlfriend, Laura, and tried not to spend too much time at internet cafes (though she might beg to differ). We had a wonderful time and I was very sad to see her off. I will try to catch you all up on our adventures when I get a chance. However, I am leaving for India today and wanted to share with you my last night in Europe. It was to be my last meal in Europe and I had to do it up right. I had heard about this restaurant in Berlin in which you eat in complete darkness. I knew from the moment I heard of this that I would have to go, and I made it happen. Sadly, I left my family in Enschede, Netherlands and headed for Berlin via the train. I arrived at 1720 hrs and my reservation was for 1800, so I was cutting it close, and I did not really know how to get there. I threw my bag in a locker so I would not have to schlep it all over trying to find this place. Then, I took 3 different trains, hailed a taxi, and ended up making it to the restaurant about 20 minutes late, but all was okay as they kept my reservation. I had no idea what to expect, except that I was under the impression that the place was run by blind people. I had only blue jeans and a white undershirt. I figured that it would not matter what I was wearing since I would be in the dark and so would everyone else. When I got there I was greeted by a host who could see just fine, in a bar/lounge area that was dimly lit. Here I was served wine which I ordered and I was given time to peruse the menu which consisted of 4 different meals. I chose the meal with the duck and rosti (swiss hash browns) with a cranberry glaze, and a fruit/sugar thing for desert. I relaxed in the lounge for awhile. It was really nice. There was no rush and it was very laid back. I was given a briefing on how everything works and then I was taken downstairs. Apparently, it is only the servers who are vision impaired as they are the only ones capable of handling this job. I had originally thought that the chefs were also blind, but apparently that was not so. I was told that I would be led to my table by my server. I was warned that it would be complete and utter darkness, not just mostly dark. They were right. It does not get darker than this dungeon. I was led to my table which I ended up sharing with two older ladies who were very nice and we ended up becoming quick friends. I was not as disoriented as I thought I would be. I was able to pour my wine and eat without making too much of a mess. To be quite honest, I came out of there cleaner than I do when I can see what I am doing. The best part of the experience, I think, was being able to eat however you want. Just for the hell of it I licked my desert plate clean. It was funny because one of the ladies said, "You could even lick your plate clean if you want to." "I already did," I replied. That was a good laugh. There was a 40 minute comedy show after the meal. This was also in the dark. I did not understand any of what was said, as it was in German, but one of the ladies I was sitting across from translated some of it for me. After the show the three of us decided to leave and we were led by the hand to the exit. When we got into the light our faces were revealed. I had no idea what to expect. I had originally thought that these ladies were about 70 years old, but they were in reality about 45. I assumed they were older because one had a father whom she said passed away at 98 years old, and the other had one of the softest and most timid voices I had ever heard. We had hot drinks in the lounge upstairs. I had tea, as I hate coffee. Afterwards, they gave me a ride to the subway station where I picked up my backpack from the locker and headed to my hostel. This culinary experience was one of the most unique, interesting and rewarding ones that I have ever had. Well, my family and friends, I am currently in London. I really can't stand this place as it is so damn expensive. I leave for the airport in about 1 hour and a half. Then it is a 10 and a half hour flight to India. I don't know if I will be able to get to the internet very often, but rest assured I will do my best to make it home safe in two weeks time. Then, much to my chagrin, I have to find a job. Anyhow, I hope all of you are well. I enjoy getting emails from you. I am sorry if I have not replied to them all, but I am thinking of you all quite often. "

BTW, I have no clue how he is paying for this! I'm guessing finanical aid. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home