After living up and down the California Coast. I am starting my second career as an Elementary School Teacher.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

That's the way of the world.

I'm pretty disappointed with the tutoring job. Not the people that are tutoring or the tutties. They are great. I'm really proud of them. I refer to my bosses. I recently got a notice saying that in just over a week is the deadline for people volunteering to get livescans (Livescans is a quick way to register fingerprints to the FBI). I simply asked my boss if I can have an extention (for the very obvious reason that grade and high schools only started a month ago and we are getting more and more calls for tutors). What I got back was the most defensive answer I have ever heard. My fellow co-director who was with me in the room and I was talked down to as if we were children. What makes it worse is the real reason why...

charities, in order to make money, need to be showing that they are giving back to the community. My program has started small because I want to make sure everyone is tutoring, as opposed to past years where college kids would sit around and do nothing expect way to tutor someone. I got yelled at because they want me to have people sit around and do nothing so they can show "the people" giving them money that we have a lot of volunteers. Which is true, but all those volunteers would do is sit around and do nothing. I'm all about getting these people to tutor. They, my bosses, don't care.

I talked to people who direct other programs, and they seem to be in agreement with me. It's funny, when I started getting the verbal abuse I thought about "the agency", but this was a bit worse. This was about getting money pretending to be doing good. How sad. At least at "the agency" they don't pretend to be good guys (you just have to remember they're not.)

What makes it worse, is now that I am working with kids I have less tolerance for people who act like children. I'm finding myself growing sad when someone as a hissyfit because they wanted no tomatoes on their burger or something.

Spoiled hippies. :)

"You will find peace of mind
If you look way down in your heart and soul
Don’t hesitate ‘cause the world seems cold
Stay young at heart ‘cause you’re never old at heart" ~Earth, Wind, and Fire

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home